This is an historic moment. We have a decision to take about Brexit that will have a massive impact on the future success and prosperity of the UK.
Whatever we might think of the Chequers plan, the humiliating way it was thrown back in Theresa May’s face by EU leaders was an insult not just to her, but to the whole of the UK.
Her firm and dignified response was admirable, but to venture further down that path now would be to court further humiliation and electoral disaster.
We need to deliver what Brexit voters asked for - a solution which sees us leave the EU and its institutions.
Only last Saturday, a survey on Conservative Home revealed that just 1 in 10 party members want to persist with a version of Chequers. Almost 80% - four out of five – want either a Canada+++ deal or WTO rules.
Our Government needs to listen. Please urgently send a motion such as these for discussion at the National Convention meeting next Sunday to Andrew Sharpe OBE, Chairman of the National Convention via email@example.com.
1) This Convention welcomes the Prime Minister’s determination to secure a deal for the UK in its relationship with the EU after Brexit, but urges the Government to recognise that its Chequers Plan is dead and instead to negotiate a deal which ensures the UK takes back control of borders, money, laws and trade.
2) Following the recent Conservative Home survey showing that only 1 in 10 Conservative members now believe that we should persist with the Chequers plan and that 80% prefer a deal based on Canada+++ or WTO rules, this Convention urges the Government to rethink its negotiating stance.
3) This Convention welcomes alternative plans for a free trade agreement, such as Canada and Japan enjoy, and urges the Government to rethink its Chequers Plan and negotiating stance to ensure the UK takes back control of borders, money, laws and trade.
4) This Convention welcomes the Government’s preparations for leaving the EU on WTO trading terms and urges it to seize the opportunities of such departure.
5) This Convention recognises British people’s determination to retake control of borders, money, laws and trade and urges the Government to rethink its Chequers Plan and negotiating stance to ensure this is achieved.
If you would like to follow this up and do more to make your views known, please get in touch. There’s a lot that can be done – if we all make our views known now, it might just tip the balance towards getting this historic decision right.